Minnows 20
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-7-2009
Location Zimbabwe
Status Offline
Northern Lights Resort-Cedar Lake

We got home last week from our trip up to the lake. This time we stayed at Northern Lights Resort. It was mostly clear, with one day of light rain. Wind was minimal all week.
The following is a letter that I sent to the couple that run the resort:
I just wanted to write and tell you how much we enjoyed staying at the resort. I hope that you remember me, I was with the guy from West Bend, WI, and 2 guys from North Dakota. We came up May 23 - 30, 2009.
We all experienced the BEST fishing any of us has ever encountered. I know that is all because of the way you run the resort, lol. Jeff and yourself do a great job running that place, we were very pleased with everything that encompassed our trip. We especially enjoyed your BBQ night, it was nice to sit and talk to everyone.
I thought that I would give you a few highlights of our trip. We are all experienced walleye fisherman. The four of us caught over 1500 walleyes for the week we were there. That is a conservative number, we know it was actually more than that. That was for six days of fishing 8 - 10 hours a day, and about 4 hours on the seventh day. The fish averaged 19' in length. We caught 37 fish over 22", the biggest was 29". All fish over 22" were released back into the lake. We caught almost everything on a jig and minnow. We used 1/4 oz. jigs of various colors for 99% of the fish. We caught about 90% of all fish within 2 miles of camp. We also caught numerous smallmouth bass. They averaged 14" - 16 1/4". We did not fish for them, we just caught them walleye fishing. We did not catch a lot of northern, but we only tried for them for a couple of hours.
We have been on enough fishing trips to realize that this trip was a once in a lifetime experience. We treasured every moment of it. We enjoyed watching the area come alive for spring. It was great to be part of an experience like this, instead of always hearing about it from someone else.
We do plan on returning to your place again, hopefully next year. We are unsure of it for sure, due to a few weddings in the family and some of us heading to Alaska for a summer vacation.
You all take care of yourselves up there, and keep up the GREAT work.
  Ken
6-7-2009 17:17#1
Share on Facebook View Profile  Send P.M.  Top

OldSchool
Fisherman

UID 2889
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 12
Posts 12
Minnows 12
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-9-2009
Status Offline
Wow! 1500 fish?? sounds like my kind of week! lol.
It's nice to hear you released some of those big fish as well, so future generations can have a shot at some lunkers! ^^
6-9-2009 13:43#2

Ken
Fisherman

UID 2881
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 20
Posts 20
Minnows 20
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-7-2009
Location Zimbabwe
Status Offline
Old School, we had a super week. Never, ever had fishing like that. We actually released all fish over 18", except four to take home (they were 19"). We hit all conditions perfect. Fishing was actually slower later in the week, so that gives you an idea on how it started. The first four days were insane.
Take care
6-9-2009 14:52#3

fishingfrenzy
Novice

UID 2892
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 3
Posts 3
Minnows 3
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 20
Registered 6-10-2009
Status Offline
Those are fantastic numbers!! I haven't visited that camp yet, but heard that the Clark's have made a lot of improvements compared to the old Wogenstahl's camp.. new cabins look really nice! We've been going to Clark's Camp and KC's Landing for the past few years and love it there... we were justat KC's a couple of weeks ago. Had a super time, bad weather but awesome fishing! We miss Dale, but really like their new guy Jim!
6-11-2009 11:35#4

Ken
Fisherman

UID 2881
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 20
Posts 20
Minnows 20
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-7-2009
Location Zimbabwe
Status Offline
The new cabins are real nice, they are roomy, have satalite tv and air conditioning. We stayed in one of the older ones on the top of the hill. It was a nice place, although a little longer walk. Older cabins were a little cheaper. Jeff & Connie are doing a great job of running the place, they know how to take care of their customers.
We realiZe that the stars (or something), were lined up right for us to do that well. We sure enjoyed it. We fished until after dark on some nights, but the fish shut off once it got dark.
    Ken
6-11-2009 13:56#5

clarksresorts
Fisherman

UID 22
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 21
Posts 23
Minnows 21
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-6-2006
Status Offline
Ken, it sounds like the "stars" have been aligned all spring so far!! Hope it keeps up...
6-12-2009 17:20#6

Desertfish
Novice

UID 552
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 4
Posts 4
Minnows 4
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 20
Registered 5-22-2007
Status Offline
Just returned from a week at Northern Lights Resorts.  First trip this camp although we have also stayed at other camps owned by Wayne and Karla.  The camp is very nice and the operators Jeff and Connie are terrific.  Stayed in a "deluxe" cabin right on the cabin.  The cabin was new, very clean and had new appliances including dishwasher and Sat. TV.

The weather was typical Canadian for the first week of June.  Cold and rainy at the beginning of the week and warmer, partly cloudy days at the end of the week.  The cold weather at the start of the week pushed the walleye deeper.  Most walleye were caught in 30' to 35' of water with a jig and minnow off the bottom.  Same depth for fish holding off poinnts.  Others had considerable success fishing right off the end of the dock.  As the weather warmed, walleye moved in the 10' to 20' range.

While most of the fishing reports for Cedar Lake indicate areas at the northern end of the lake, we never fished beyond on line of sight of the camp.  

We also brought a small boat along and fished a small local lake for northern...filled out in less than 2 hours.

We will be back next year.
6-17-2009 17:59#7

Ken
Fisherman

UID 2881
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 20
Posts 20
Minnows 20
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-7-2009
Location Zimbabwe
Status Offline
Desertfish,
How did you all do for numbers with the wallleyes, and still catching trophies? Has the fishing remained great since we have been there? Have others been doing any good?
Thanks,
           Ken
6-18-2009 12:16#8

Desertfish
Novice

UID 552
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 4
Posts 4
Minnows 4
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 20
Registered 5-22-2007
Status Offline
Reply #8 Ken's post

Ken,

Although we caught a lot of walleyes, the numbers were no where near the success your group had.  My fishing partner and I are only recreational fisherman...a couple of times a year and only once a year for walleye.  We never fished early morning or late evening.  Most of our fish were in the 15" to 18" range with the largest being 25".  Plenty to eat and our limit to bring home.
6-18-2009 18:11#9

Ken
Fisherman

UID 2881
excellent posts 0
Total Baits 20
Posts 20
Minnows 20
Crawlers 0
Leeches 0
Reading Access 30
Registered 6-7-2009
Location Zimbabwe
Status Offline
Ice out has occured on Cedar Lake.
Looking forward to going up to see if we can find fish again.
4-15-2010 16:14#10
 16  1/2  1  2  > 

Problem with this website? Contact the webmaster

本论坛支付平台由支付宝提供
携手打造安全诚信的交易社区   Powered by Discuz! 4.1.0  © 2001-2006 Comsenz Inc.
Processed in 0.679301 second(s), 6 queries